So today I am going to talk mostly about food. The past day or two has been pretty calm around my house. The same old same old. I had mother's day tea with McKenzie yesterday and muffins with mom with Madison today. It is so sweet listening to all of the things they say about you. I just hope that in 10 years they will still feel the same.
So I am basically a northern girl and I married a southern boy. So....every week or so I make a grocery list like most of you out there. I am always asking my husband what he wants me to make for dinner. Normally he has no opinion. This week however he mad a list. There was at least 6 meals on there. I am definitely not complaining, but they were all southern cuisine. Fried chicken, chicken fried steak, ribs, etc. I don't fry, well normally. I do on occasion, but I am not any good at it. So yesterday I made chicken fried steak, green beans, rice, biscuits and gravy.
Chicken Fried Steak
4 Cubed Steaks
1 c Flour
2 eggs
2 T milk
1/4 t red pepper
salt and pepper
oil for fring
Gravy
2 T saved oil
2 T flour
2 c milk
Make a breading station. One bowl with flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Add the red pepper to the flour mixture. In another bowl mix the eggs and milk. First season the steaks, then dip in the flour, next the eggs, and then the flour again. Cover all of the steaks and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Add about 1/2 inch of oil in a large saute pan. Heat til about 350 degrees. Fry your steaks until golden brown.
Drain most of the oil from the pan, leaving about 2 tablespoons. Add the 2 T flour. Wisk the flour and oil together until incorporated. Slowly add the milk and stir consistently until thickened. Season with salt and coarsely black pepper.
Serve with rice...make extra rice for fried rice tomorrow.
Biscuits...I caved and made Bisquick and the green beans were just sauteed with Worcestershire sauce.
Friday, May 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment